Create a group.
It's easy to create a group for your organization using either the Groups control in the Admin console, or the Google Groups for Business service. You can also migrate your existing mailing lists on an LDAP server to Google Groups, to create multiple groups at once.
Create a group in the Admin console.
You can create groups quickly in the Admin console with the easy-to-use Groups control. You can add up to 25 users to the group at a time.
To create a group with the Groups control in the Admin console:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- From the dashboard, click Groups Where is it?.
- Click at the bottom of the page.
- Enter the following details in the Create new group box:
- A name for the group. For details about permitted group names, see these guidelines.
- An email address for your new group. If your organization's Google account has multiple domains, select the appropriate domain from the drop-down list.
- Optionally, add a description for your group.You can use this description to help users determine the purpose of the group. For example, you can include information about who should join, the types of message you should send to the group, links to FAQs about the group, related groups, and so on.
- Choose an Access Level from the drop-down list. Learn more about access levels.
- Optionally, check the box that adds all users in the organization to your new group.
- Click Create. You'll be taken to the group's page in the Admin console.
After you've created a group in the Admin console you can edit it to add or remove members, change a member's group role, change a group's name or description, and more. See Edit a group for detailed instructions.
With the Groups for Business service you can take advantage of additional features. This service also provides more fine-grained control for setting up your groups.
To create a group with Groups for Business:
- To access the Groups for Business service, visit groups.google.com/a/<your-domain>.
- Follow the user instructions to create a group.
A group you create with Groups for Business automatically appears in your Groups directory, which all users can access. However, new entries do not appear in the directory immediately. It can take up to 24 hours for a new group to appear there. If you wish to hide a group from the directory, you can edit the group's settings after you create it. To hide a group, you must set sharing options to allow group owners to hide groups.
After you create a group.
You may need to wait a few minutes for your new group to become active before sending a message to it. Otherwise, you might receive a notification that your message could not be delivered.